Further Research & Analysis
At this point it was clear that there were two separate problems:
The Users Problem:
- I enjoy supporting local stores, but it is so easy to shop online
The Stores Problem
- Our store is a community, if we can get people in the door they’ll stay
That's when I realized there was a clear solution:
Create an online shopping platform that encourages users to come into the store.
I knew this would be hard to pull off. Especially considering what my users told me. They like the convenience of shipping from online stores.
But there was hope, my users mentioned something else. They want to support a local business, and they are willing to go out of their way to do so.
It was time to focus on the structure of the site and it's content. Time to focus on the information architecture.
This is where my second method of research comes in.
Using a list of 100 goods that I had gathered from my visit to the shop, I created an open card sort.
My goal was to see how my users saw the content, and how it all related to each other.
But, with my open card sort came some interesting findings:
- Users as baffled as I was by inventory
Results were spread out
- Users didn’t know the goods
- Sorted by what they knew
- Large Variety of Group Names
This was when I realized that I should have done a closed card sort.
But, there wasn't much time left on the project so I had to move on.
I needed to get my ideas on paper. It was time to sketch wireframes.