Testing & Iterating
With only 2 weeks for the entire project, once a paper prototype was complete it was time to test it. The goal was to make sure that any design decisions that needed to change could be changed as soon as possible.
Testing the paper prototype brought up useful insights and realizations about the app and our process so far.
Prominent user concerns:
- Unclear if button or data entry
- Inconsistencies between screens was jarring
- Hidden actions needed to be not hidden
- Unsure where the feature would be in the app
After figuring out what needed to be changed, and why, it was time to create a digital prototype.
At this point the design team moved over to sketch, I initially worked on the following screens;
Shipping & Budget / Timeline
Before placing all of the screens into the prototyping tool, invision, it was important to make sure that the screens all looked as if they came from the same place.
After a few more edits it was time to move into more testing. All of the screens were put into invision and then the usability tests began.
This is where our process became crazy efficient. We were a group of four. Two members performed usability tests with a total of 11 usability tests. One member began gathering our information and creating our presentation. And, I made any adjustments or changes to the prototype throughout testing.
Lots of interesting points came up during our tests.
Here’s some of the standouts:
Everyone has a different opinion on specific wording
Users became lost at times during navigation, especially backwards
Anything that seemed “off-brand” of Etsy stood out
Sizing and placement issues caused confusion
In our current version of the prototype we addressed the most common and troublesome issues.
Here are some changes between iterations 1, 2, and 3. The changes address the above issues, and others.